Friday 24 January 2014

An Intro to Critiquing Conspiracy

Sometimes, an apple is just really an apple.

In my second year of university, I had a couple classes with a young man who never took anything at face value. The moon landing was completely fabricated for television, 9/11 was an inside job, HIV was created by CIA… this kid had an alternative explanation for just about everything.  His theories were often completely immune to evidence and void of any sort of rationale.

Yet people feed into conspiracies all the time. Now, don't get me wrong - some conspiracy theories have proven to be true - including the Dreyfus affair, Watergate, and the mafia. However, PhD candidate Michael J. Wood found that those who believe in one conspiracy are prone into believing many, even if those theories completely contradict each other. And let's face it - a number of them are just plain silly.

In this blog, I will be posting my own commentary and critique on popular conspiracy theories - including popular theories surrounding the sinking of the Titanic, the Apollo Moon Landing, 9/11 and the Holocaust. Feel free to express your opinion and stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing your take on famous conspiracies. Can definitely say that this topic has peaked my interest to read the upcoming weeks.

    ReplyDelete